X Ray Technician Job Description - Duties of X-ray technician -Responsibilities of a X-ray technician
X-ray technician is the health care professional whose main duty is to perform various diagnostic tests on patient to get information regarding internal diseases like tumors, fractures and growths. There are various types of x-ray technician based on their specializations such as computed tomography scan, magnetic resonance imaging technology, mammography, vascular imaging, electrocardiography and ultrasonic technology. Based on the individual interest he/she can choose among the available courses in radiography.
X-ray technicians have wide scope for career development since they have plenty of job vacancies in all types of medical settings such as medical centers, hospitals, diagnostic centers, private nursing homes, private clinics, orthopedics and orthopedic surgery. These technicians work under the guidance of doctors. Around 70% of the x-ray technicians are females and the remaining technicians are males.
Minimum eligibility to become an x-ray technician is high school education with courses completed in subjects such as mathematics, physics, biology, pharmacology and radiology physics. X-ray technician aspirants must pass the entrance exam conducted by the college to get admission in various courses offered by the college. It is very easy to get admission in these colleges since there are many community and vocational colleges in the U.S.
Duties of X-ray technician:
- Duties of an x-ray technician are purely based on their employer they are working in.
- Primary duty is to carefully use equipment’s for detecting and examine for diseases inside human body.
- Initially place an apron on the patient before starting exam to protect him/her from exposure of unusual high radiation rays.
- Correctly place and focus the x-rays on right portion of the body which is to be examined.
- Before conducting test initially study the medical reports of the patient.
- Follow all quality and safety methods while performing test.
- Understand the pains and tensions suffered by the patient and give them support about the test.
Responsibilities of a X-ray technician:
- Before starting the exam ensure that equipment is functioning properly.
- Ensure that all the jewelry is removed by the patient.
- Ensure that the apron worn by the patient is clean and tidy.
- Ensure the lab is clean and neat.
- Don’t panic and confuse the patient while conducting test.
- Assist and guide the patient when placing before the equipment.
- Ensure that all the functions and actions of the equipment are working proper or not.
- Alert the medical staff immediately in case of emergency.
- If the images obtained from the scan are not proper then re attempt the test once again to get better images.
- To be friendly with the patient and their guardians.
- Maintain good relations with doctors and fellow medical professionals.
- Understand the cause for the disease.
- Ensure that all the medical staff inside the lab are working properly.
By Tina Smith